The week began like most. We were planning to go on vacation then to a family reunion. But life gives you a turn…in this case it was T’s Uncle who passed away on Tuesday. Uncle ‘D’ as he was known, had lived a good life. He had three grown daughters and was a respected teacher and former football coach. Uncle ‘D’ had lost a kidney years earlier to cancer. He had been on dialysis for the past 8 years and finally his body said enough…God called him home!
Destin, Florida is a great place to go and celebrate the summer. We got to have a ton of fun and enjoyed our time together. We were able to:
- Ride on banana boats…I fell off twice…the second time did me in!
- Conner and I got to deep-sea fish 12 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico. We caught 6 Snappers…it was fun!
- T and Conner got to parasail…got great pictures!
- We rode jet skis and found a school of dolphins…that was very cool.
- And we ate like we didn’t have good sense!
After our time in Destin was complete, we drove to North Texas to the town of Kilgore. It was T’s dad’s family reunion. It was great to meet some folks I had never met…but yet felt ‘connected to’ all the same.
After all the clean up was done, we drove back home.
My take away from all this…cherish the moments you have with your immediate and extended family. Get away and be refreshed and make some great memories with those in your home. Last but not least…we all one day come to the end of our days. Let’s not live in a way that would cause us to have regrets. Make sure you know who Jesus is so when your earthy body finally gives out, you will be ready to meet the Lord face to face!